Mizen Head Bridge
Cork County Council / Commissioners of Irish Lights
It spans 50m across a dramatic sea gorge leading to the Mizen Head Lighthouse owned by the Commissioners of Irish Lights.
The original structure was built in 1909 and was considered to be the longest reinforced concrete bridge of its type in Europe on completion. In 2011, RPS has successfully delivered a new, replica reinforced concrete structure, following careful removal of the original structure. The successful completion of the project has preserved a landmark structure on the coast of Ireland for future generations to enjoy. Mizen Head Bridge was the overall winner of the Engineers Ireland Excellence Award in 2011.